- JAVA runtime environment
JDK 1.2.2 or later is needed (currently, 1.6 recommended). JDK 1.1.8 works with some restrictions. See the platforms document for more information.
- OPTIONAL: Java Media Framework 2.1.1 (not necessary if you don't plan to view SMIL documents or RTSP media)
- OPTIONAL: Java 3D (not necessary if you don't plan to view X3D documents)
How to install?
1. Install JDK/JRE (if not installed already)
2. OPTIONAL: Install JMF 2.1.1 (Java Media Framework) (if not installed already, also optional)
3. OPTIONAL: Install Java 3D (1.2.1_04) (if not installed already, also optional)
4. Reboot your PC (in Windows if any of 1-3 was installed)
Then you have the following options:
5a. Extract the XSmiles.zip into desired directory, e.g. C:\xsmiles
5b. Windows users can run the windows installer directly, the installer creates a desktop shortcut and includes an uninstaller
There are then 2 optional ways of running X-Smiles:
|Java 2 (1.2->->)||Java 1.1
|5. Run xsmiles.bat (on windows) or
java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=lib/endorsed -jar xsmiles.jarin the installation directory.
|5. Check the xsmiles11.bat file and edit JMFHOME, XSMILES and JAVAHOME parameters.
XSMILES should point to your installation directory.
If you installed X-Smiles to other drive than C:, modify xsmiles.bat correspondingly (line: "c:").
|6. Run xsmiles11.bat
7. The browser starts
8. Access the demos either from the local disk (the 'demo' package from the download page or the internet at http://www.xsmiles.org/demo/demos.xml (Works only with X-Smiles browser).
Extension MLFC are "plug-ins", which are NOT included with the main X-Smiles package. These MLFCs would increase the main X-Smiles installation package size, which is unnecessary since not everyone wants to run these MLFCs. Currently, X3D, XML Signature and JXTA are distributed as Extension MLFCs. To install Extension MLFC, follow these steps:
1. Install X-Smiles main package (if not installed already)
2. Download the extension MLFC to the xsmiles/extensions folder in your computer (e.g. C:\xsmiles\extensions).
3. Start X-Smiles, it will automatically load the extension MLFCs.
These jars are included in the binary release of X-Smiles.
These jars are not needed normally by the X-Smiles browser, though some experimental/old features may require them. These may not be distributed in the binary release of X-Smiles.
There is also an experimental Voice XML implementation for X-Smiles. NOTE: this does not work with the current version of X-Smiles, and installing it will require some knowledge of the system! (This means that this is targeted to interested developers). Download xsmiles_vxml.tar.gz.
See the platforms document
for more information.
For instructions on how to install on restricted platforms, such as Compaq IPAQ + SavaJe, refer to the Configurations document.
Please send feedback to The X-Smiles Developers.
Copyright (c) 2000-2008 X-Smiles.org et.al.